Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Non GMO Change


First of all I want to share why I have started the process of moving to Non GMO foods for my daughter.  I live in Dubuque, IA with my husband and two daughters, which are 4 years old and 3 years old.  My eldest daughter is 4 and has had constipation problems for 2 years.  I have put her on probiotics and that worked for about a year as well as helped build her immune system.  Then when that wasn't working I was in search of what to do next.  I was told to try laxatives, I'm sorry but I do not feel that is a way to treat a problem for the long term.  I was trying to find a way to change her diet.  I gave her more fiber, put flax seed in her oatmeal, and even gave her up to 3 Fiber One bars a day and she could still go 5 to 8 days without a bowel movement.  I was getting desperate, then my aunt told me she heard on the radio that switching to Non GMO had helped people with constipation issues in as little as 2 weeks.  So I was all for it.

I was looking up what brands carried Non GMO and got the list of 'hidden ingredients' that could have GMO's in them.  I went to the local health food store and after and hour in the store I walked out with 2 items!  So I decided to see if by chance Wal-Mart had any items, I found 4 fairly quickly.  But lets face it a total of 6 food items were not enough to feed by daughter.  Not to mention 3 of them were juices.  Did I get frustrated and give up?  No, I had planned on going to Madison, WI the following week to take the girls to the zoo so after the zoo I made plans to stop at Whole Foods because that was a store that was suggested to me and carried many items that are labeled Non GMO.  I was very happy with what I found that Sunday afternoon 3 weeks ago.  Now I wasn't able to get everything I would have hoped for since I had a trunk filled with a stroller, cooler, and extra clothes for the girls.  I was only able to purchase a few bags of different items and make the 1 1/2 hour trip back home hoping this would help alleviate my daughters’ constipation problems.  I only had snacks and had planned to start that afternoon by only offering her Non GMO snacks I had just purchased and Non GMO Juice.  Guess what within 24 hours my daughter had a bowel movement!  But wait, it didn't stop there.  The rest of the week (remember I only replaced her snacks with Non GMO items at this time) she had one regular bowel movement every day!

Now in that first week after I had seen the changes and my daughter was no longer sitting on the toilet every 15 mins with tears down her face saying her butt hurt and she didn't want to poop.  She wasn't crying anymore.  That was enjoy to tell me I needed to find more items that were Non GMO even if I needed to order them for make a trip to Madison every so often.  I have found more and more items as I get more familiar with the brands and read labels as I go.  I was surprised to find some of the items at one of the Hy-Vee’s in town, Wal-Mart, Target, and I was just made aware that Kmart offers a health food section that I'm going to have to try out.

The first 3 things she kept asking for the 1st week I changed her snacks to Non GMO is Pizza, Chicken Nuggets, and Peanut Butter Sandwiches.  I found a bread recipe and all the ingredients I needed to make Non GMO bread and bought Non GMO peanut butter at Whole Foods.  My next step was to find Pizza and Chicken Nuggets.  I orders some online, then later found Amy's brand Pizza's in one of the stores I've started going to, and found an ad for Ian's breaded chicken nuggets in Freeport, IL that I might be going to check out in the next month or two.

Now, everyone's also been asking if I've noticed a large price difference.  Well in some things yes, in others no.  But you also have to understand I am still searching for products my daughter likes and will eat and then once I find some that I know she loves and will eat that are offered at stores out of town I will be able to compile a list to ask stores in Dubuque, IA to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment